Tuesday 13 April 2010

Armature Has Been Foamed

Well this afternoon I got on with getting my shiny new and improved armature back into the foam body I had been crafting on the previous armature. Thankfully the new armature fits in the foam snug as a bug and only needed a little filling out here and there. So now its all snipped into form and looking pretty good, albeit a little rough, but it'll all be hidden under clothing. Below is an image (just the one this evening) of my puppet slowly coming to shape.

So there you have it one foam covered puppet. The basic shapes are all there to fill out the clothing that will be going on top, I've even included a pert backside. As you may be able to tell this puppet is male.

I've also been making my puppet eyes, they're just balls of Milliput I have carefully rolled into balls and have painted with enamel paints.

Milliput eyes with blue iris

Eyes finished with black pupil

They might need a little touching up and they need to have a coat of gloss varnish but they're the best I can do for the moment. Delrin plastic ball bearings are recommended for using as eyes, they can be drilled and painted and I believe are the type Arrdman uses on W&G. I myself, however, can't seem to find anything online or in shops in the way of 10mm plastic ball bearings. Nor can I find suitable glass beads either, so I'm opting to use these instead, until I can afford to cast my own in polyurethane resin in a RTV silicone mold... All which is a little too adventurous and expensive so early on when what I've got at the moment should do just as fine.

Next I shall be clothing this puppet, I will be recycling a collection of old T-shirts and fine weave garments for the materials, it'll very much be a little bit of making it up as I go along with the materials I have at hand and what will look good, I don't have a particular colour design for the clothing, just a rough plan of the overall outfit. This is where things will get interesting as my sewing technique may be a little rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment